Louisiana Immigration Law Firm

Ashley Dees LLC is now Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. Please visit www.bal.com for more information.

The Path from Marriage to Citizenship

One of the most common misconceptions regarding immigration law is how marriage affects citizenship. While getting married to a U.S. citizen can make the process much easier, you will not automatically become a citizen yourself. There are multiple steps that you will need to take, and the entire process will take years to complete.

Step One: Submit a Visa Petition

After you get married to a U.S. citizen, they will need to file an I-130 form, or a petition for alien relative. In your application you will need to include evidence that the marriage is legitimate and bona fide, and not a scheme to help you immigrate. If you are not living in the United States, you must wait until the I-130 form is approved before you can move on to step two.

Step Two: Apply for Adjustment of Status

If you are already legally living in the United States, in most cases you will be able to file for adjustment of status at the same time as your I-130 application. Essentially, an adjustment of status is an application for a green card without having to leave the country. Once your adjustment of status is approved, you will be a lawful permanent resident!

Step Three: Apply for Citizenship

If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you will only need to wait three years to apply for citizenship after getting your green card. This is significantly quicker than the standard 5-year waiting period. There are numerous other requirements, including good moral character, ability to read, write, and speak English, and an understanding of U.S. civics.

Let Our Immigration Attorney Guide You to Citizenship

If you’re attempting to become a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you’ll need counsel from an experienced Louisiana immigration attorney. At our firm, Attorney Ashley Foret Dees has handled thousands of immigration cases and understands the complex nature of immigration law. When you retain our firm, Attorney Dees will work tirelessly to help you achieve your immigration goals.

Call our firm today at (337) 214-0670.